The Cute Report

Rhiannon Adelia Reinhard is a child of the 21st century: first blog at three; categorizes movies by format (e.g. DVD), figured out the CD player console by the age of two, and one of her favorite shows is the US version of The Office. Readers of The Cute Report will receive occasional posts of new, remarkable, and often funny events in the daily life of a now-five-year-old girl for whom beds still are for jumping and inanimate objects talk and have feelings (Disney-inspired animism, no doubt).

Sunday, September 07, 2008

World of Rhiannoncraft


I play World of Warcraft. I admit this freely, although I had to be dragged to the game kicking and screaming by a coworker who swore that this would be fun, especially since I completely dug Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo series (Diablo III is coming out soon!). She was right, of course, and I have been playing for over a year. I have two "toons" now: my "main" is a Level 70 Tauren Hunter named Philabovis (fakey Greek for "cow-lover" as Taurens are a race of minotaurs) who leads a Latin-speaking guild, Carpe Praedam (real Latin for "seize the booty") on the Feathermoon realm; my "alt" is a Level 2 Night Elf "dr00d" (druid) name Cliothalion (an amalgamation of the muses Clio and Thalia -- history and comedy) whom I shall begin levelling like crazy. But I'm not a geek. Honest!

Anyway, Rhiannon likes to "WoW" with me. She sits on my lap and directs, or makes comments about the action on-screen. Because Rhiannon is an aesthete, she loves Blood Elves, otherworldly hotties who are both vapid and vain, but reasonably decent in a fight. She loves to go to "Skeleton City" (aka Undercity) which is the city of the Undead populated by all kinds of spooky things, which gets back to her goth roots.

Probably her favorite thing to do, though, is feed Philabovis' pet, Roy. A little backstory: all hunters in WoW can have their own pets (as well as "familiars", oddities like my "Ancona Chicken" which is a hoot because I work regularly with Latin goddess Dr. Ronnie Ancona). Philabovis' first pet was named "Stavros", but didn't last too long as my in-game mentor suggested a more suitable, low-level kitty from the fields of Mulgore to serve as adoring companion. Hence "Roy". I chose the name "Roy" because an old friend used to say that she had an old friend who called everyone and everything "Roy". Seemed reasonable that I should do the same, although in hindsight, I should have named the cat "Philabovisbovis" (you do the Greek).

Anyhoo, in WoW, you must feed your pets. Not feeding them will make them fight poorly, resent you, and they will eventually leave, never to return. So whenever Rhiannon is on my lap, she makes me feed Roy. A lot. We feed him all kind of meat (and nothing but) including delights like Talbuk Venison, Raptor Ribs, and even Mystery Meat (this is TRUE!). So Roy sits and snacks. Thank goodness Philabovis keeps him constantly fighting to work off those frequent snacks.

Occasionally Rhiannon, lap-sitting and engrossed in making NPCs (non-player characters) talk to her, will spot The Enemy. The Enemy is usually some kind of two-legged baddie, off doing evil business, or, in the case of much of WoW, just standing around looking evil and bad-ass and up to no good. So Rhiannon helps me send Roy off on a tear, followed by slow Philabovis (handy with a bow, but not very quick), to take the pine to said evil peon. And of course, after the kill, it's phat lewt time (no, Phat Lewt is not another regrettable George-Lucas-created Star Wars minor underling, but is, instead, a phrase meaning "good treasure" -- praedam if you will).

So because Rhiannon loves dress-up, whenever we find new gear, especially new armor, gloves, pants, what have you, Phil has to try them on and parade them around, while Roy does the catwalk. Sigh. I guess looking good is just as important as having 100% crit. Rhiannon's prolly right.

/crai

Rhiannon. Epicly cute.

Andrew (Papa)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home