The Cute Report

Rhiannon Adelia Reinhard is a child of the 21st century: first blog at three; categorizes movies by format (e.g. DVD), figured out the CD player console by the age of two, and one of her favorite shows is the US version of The Office. Readers of The Cute Report will receive occasional posts of new, remarkable, and often funny events in the daily life of a now-five-year-old girl for whom beds still are for jumping and inanimate objects talk and have feelings (Disney-inspired animism, no doubt).

Monday, April 20, 2009

Anticipation


The other night we were watching the Planet Earth DVDs that my brother had given to us last Christmas. If you haven't seen the BBC series, you are really missing out on something amazing. It is so amazing in fact that Rhiannon pays attention. At least when there are animals on. With fur. And long ears. Basically cats and their ilk. Or foxes. The other 12 hours of the series might captivate her one day. But she likes nature.

"RHIANNON!"

"Yes, Dad?"

"Do you want to come with me to the mountain again one of these days?"

Rhiannon thinks on it for a moment. I mean she's really, earnestly thinking about it.

"No."

"No? Why not?"

"I want you to take me to someplace I have never been."

Of course my heart melts. I love that exploring spirit. Now if she would only be so fearless and curious with dinner.

"What do you like about nature?" I ask her.

"I like trees. And ants."

"I thought you hated ants."

"The black ones are good. And they tickle you. They are called 'Tickle Ants.'"

"I see..."

"They crawl all over you, but it's okay."

"Uh huh."

"DAD!"

"Yes, Rhiannon?"

"Today at school Madison and I saw some bumble-ants."

"What's a bumble-ant?"

"Daaa-aaad." Rhiannon rolls her eyes and sighs. "Everybody knows that bumble-ants are yellow and black ants and they fly and Madison and I saw one in the playground."

"Okay."

"And sometimes in nature there are trees and black ants on them."

"Okay..."

"And sometimes in nature there are trees and red ants on them."

"Okay..."

"Stay AWAY from the red ants, man. They hurt!"

"Okay, I will. Thanks for the tip."

"You're welcome."

And then the video starts.

Rhiannon. Cute as a bug.

Andrew (Papa)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home